Sunday, May 18, 2008

Personal Portfolio

I'm back again! After two weeks of furniture and deco hunting in the UK ( our flat is comming along nicely and i can't wait to move in! ) i'm back home in Belgium and i'm getting ready to move out, finally. Besides all the moving related things i have to do, i still found some time to work on my "business plan". Ok, it's not really a plan, but a dream...and dreaming is allowed, no? So, I got myself a personal portfolio! There are a few shops here in belgium - and i'm sure this system exists in other countries too - that print photo books for you at a very reasonable price. Shops like Fnac, Kruidvat, Blokker and Hema have free software that allow you to create your own book : you choose the lay out, the pictures, set up, basically everything is in your hands! My little book costed about 15 Euro, but it's worth the investement and the quality is excellent. I used to hate that " what do you do in life" question, because i'm not a big talker and saying that i design things sounds so silly sometimes, compared to people with "real" jobs and some of them have no idea what i'm talking about if they can't see it. This little book is the best way for me to show my work and i think it would be interesting to take it to some shops instead of taking my whole inventory with me at a first try-out. I have noticed that handing out a business card doesn't work that well because people forget about it or they are not bothered to go see online what it is about. If they see a portfolio they can atleast tell you if they are interested or not at first glance and it makes things easier for me. If you are serious about your designs i really recommend getting one made....or have it as a souvenir for later when i will be an old granny :)





24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow it looks amazing!!! Love the front cover, great choice of product. I've been thinking of getting one done too but I think it'll take a while deciding on the layout etc, I'm so fussy!!

-formerly decadentdiamond (I decided on a name/brand change!) .. I wish I had a nice, short and sweet sounding name like yours though!

Smarty Pants said...

WoW! Your portfolio looks amazing! Of course, your work is phenomenal, so it would be difficult for it not to look fab!

Emerson Bindery said...

What a great idea!! It looks very professional, you did a great job!

Joy De Vivre Design said...

Your book looks great! I have been wanting to get one made for a while. I need to do it!

High Desert Diva said...

It looks fantastic. So professional!

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

That is the coolest! It looks awesome. A good idea you had to have it made up.

ixela said...

Welcome back Yasmin... your new portfolio is simply stunning... it looks so professional!
I think you had a great wonderful idea and you put it into practice in the best way!!!

hy said...

stunning!
i have a book, but yours looks much better!
great post!
xoxo
mary jane

www.maryjanefrances.etsy.com

Beat Black said...

i can relate to what you are saying about "real" jobs. i went to school for fashion business and when ever anyone would ask what i was going to school for the fashion part sounded more like a whisper. its tough work but not fun to explain to the masses!

Tabitha Brown said...

The book looks stunning!

kraplap said...

that's a very beautiful book !!

TinaA said...

It looks so professional, but you have great pictures too!

Kreativlink said...

Wow! That book looks gorgeous! And it's such a good idea! Think I have one made for me too ...

X by Leina Neima said...

Super idea! And your looks just stunning...

StaroftheEast said...

This looks awesome, I'll let one make during a visit to Holland!!!
Great tip!

Greet said...

Wow, yasmin, this is such a great and easy idea, thanks for sharing it! I like your style very much, especially your mirror mirror collection!

Anonymous said...

That look fab, must get me one too!

Anonymous said...

Your book looks great! I´m thinking of getting one too!

karlita said...

oh, i love it!!! Now i want to make one for myself :)

Miss Mish Mish said...

Thanks everyone! I have to be honest : it took forever before i had everything the way i wanted! But it was fun and i hope it will be useful too. Let me know if any of you get one, i'd love to see it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the owner of this blog. Ive enjoyed reading this topic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Im Inspired again.

BNdesign said...

oh wow that looks great! Where did you order it? I am in the Netherlands so kruidvat, Hema and such are here as well ;)

Btw: good luck on the move! I am in the middle of it myself as well. Going out of my parents home and into a house with my boyfriend

Miss Mish Mish said...

Bn, i got mine from Blokker so you can have look there as well :) I'm in the same situation as you, moving out of the parents' house and into a new one with my fiancé so i wish you good luck too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails